Friday, June 6, 2008
Doughnut Day 2008
Go today to Krispy Kreme to get your free donut.
National Donut Day is celebrated on the first Friday in June? In 1917, Salvation Army female volunteers known as “lassies” prepared thousands of fresh donuts to the homesick soldiers that served in France during World War I. National Donut Day was officially established in 1938 by the Chicago Salvation Army to raise much-needed funds during the Great Depression.
- In the U.S. alone, more than 10 billion donuts are made every year.
- The largest donut ever made was an American-style jelly donut weighing 1.7 tons, which was 16 feet in diameter and 16 inches high in the center.
- Per capita, Canada has more donut shops than any other country.
- The hole in the donut's center appeared in the first half of the 19th Century.
- Adolph Levitt invented the first donut machine in 1920.